Sunday, March 18, 2012

Soarer: O-Rings Busted In Coolant Bypass Pipe

I think Ive found the source of my loss of engine coolant and overheating problems on my 1JZ-GTE Soarer. It seems that there is a vertical pipe about 2" long above the water pump housing.
Coolant Bypass Pipe - Half-hidden Behind Bolt Head in Center
To get access to this pipe I first had to remove the Battery. Then remove the engine fan shroud attached to the radiator. From here, I could undo the four bolts attaching the engine fan to the water pump pulley. After that I removed the fan belt.

I went on to remove the timing belt cover. I could now see the 2 bolts holding the upper part of the water pump housing a little better. However, to get a spanner or socket onto these 2 bolts, I found I would need to remove the front section of intercooler piping aswell as various pipes attached to the front turbo.

Finally I undid the 2 bolts holding the upper housing to the head. Then I was able to twist and turn the housing free from the bottom housing, as the o-rings were pretty much, mush.




Just got to find 2 new o-rings tomorrow and then hopefully that will solve the leak!

1 comment:

  1. Atlast there is a solution to the problem.Thank you.

    ReplyDelete